Sunday, July 8, 2012

Orange and blue all over!

Today is my baby's 14th birthday. She requested an orange and blue card as orange is her favorite color and we had been talking about color pairings. Yes, we are nerds like that. Anyway this is NOT her birthday card, it is the card I made first. I had intended for it to be her card when I started out, but then I gave it some thought and decided the butterflies were great but I had an idea that fit her personality better. Stay tuned.


I feel like a broken record but forgive my color tweaking and variances that may occur!! I tried taking photos in different spots today of 3 cards and there may be some bright ones and some not so bright. I don't claim to be a photo editing expert. Anyway, this card measures 5" x 5". Midnight Muse and Tangerine Tango are the colors used, along with a large Mod Retro pad from DCWV that I picked up too long ago to just be cutting into it now! I used a ledger paper, orange graphics, and houndstooth from the pad to cut the butterflies. My daughter also digs houndstooth in a big way, which led me to this pattern choice. She actually came into the living room while I was working on this card and watching Downton Abbey (Season 2 now available on Hulu!), and asked if it was hers. By then I knew it wasn't and told her so. She said that was too bad, she liked it. :) I'm glad she did but I think she will really like her actual card! 


The back piece is Midnight Muse card stock stamped with the retired-too-quickly Wonderfully Worn background stamp in Midnight Muse ink.Since it is narrower than the card stock piece, I had to stamp it twice. With the spotty pattern, it doesn't show too much but the more noticeable part is covered by the punched borders. I used the Elegant Butterfly punch to make Jenni Bowlin-style butterflies. I punched each of the patterned papers twice. I attached with glue down the center of the body and popped the wings on Stampin' Dimensionals, and added 4 of the Basic Rhinestones from the attached rows for the bodies. The border is punched with the retired Eyelet Border punch from Midnight Muse and Tangerine Tango, and wrapped with a black ribbon from my stash.


I decorated the inside! I so rarely do this but it was just such neat paper I needed to keep going. Matted the Mod Retro ledger paper on Tangerine Tango and accented with a punched Midnight Muse butterfly. There is a punched houndstooth butterfly glued to the back of the card just for fun, also.

I hope you enjoyed this card, it was a lot of fun to make and I hope to find a recipient soon! I've hinted a couple of times at the "theme" of the birthday card, see if you get it right! Next post!

Becca

Supplies Used - All Stampin' Up unless otherwise noted:
Stamps: Wonderfully Worn
Card Stock: White, Midnight Muse, Tangerine Tango, Mod Retro stack (DCWV)
Ink: Midnight Muse
Other: Elegant Butterfly Punch, Eyelet Border Punch, Basic Rhinestones, ribbon, Stampin' Dimensionals

1 comment:

  1. Great card! Love those butterflies in the patterned papers. The inside of the card is really neat, too!

    ReplyDelete