Sunday, July 15, 2012

Another boat card???

At last year's summer Stamp-A-Stack, I made this sailboat card, which was beautiful but caused a lot of headache for the large group we had in attendance. Lots of fussy cutting and the Color Spritzer gave some people fits. :) Since it was a topic of much conversation and made one friend particularly surly (HI JANELLE!!), I HAD TO offer another "boat card"! When I saw that The Open Sea was in the main catalog, I immediately thought up this card and sketched it out. It is not as involved as the sailboat, but it is classy and looks more difficult than it actually is. The goal in all of the cards we featured this summer was to make them involved enough for seasoned stampers but simple and minimal-supply enough for newbies, not to mention the time factor - getting guests out the door and back to their families before midnight. Part of the invitation specified that no experience would be necessary! I hope we succeeded.



I like the collage look and have trouble making it work with lots of pieces of paper, but this set makes it easy to feature great stamps on a single neutral panel. I used a slightly different color selection than the sailboat card. Blue and red just seem so very nautical to me and I haven't gotten away from them just yet. This card is 4.5" square. The back panel is Island Indigo stamped with the compass and wrapped with Linen Twine in a criss-cross pattern. I collage stamped on the front Sahara Sand panel - the ship log in Sahara Sand, anchors in Riding Hood Red stamped off once, Island Indigo ship, and Early Espresso globe also stamped off once. This was mounted on a Riding Hood Red square, and the corners were pierced and Silver Mini Brads were attached. The panel was then popped up on dimensionals. On the inside, I stamped the compass in Indigo. The original card didn't have a sentiment on it, but at our Stamp A Stack, people were adding the Life is a Daring Adventure quote and I loved it, so had to update my sample! Here is the original. I think you'll agree the updated version is better! The linen thread was often used in different ways as well. I love it when I have an idea and someone else improves on it and makes it their own.




 Another great set for sentiments that fit a card like this is Word Play. There are several greetings and wishes that work well with the design and theme. It's simple, it's fun, and I made a bunch. And yes, we made another D*** BOAT CARD!!! :)

All's fair in love and stamping!
Becca

Supplies Used:
Stamp Set: The Open Sea, Daring Adventure
Card Stock: White, Island Indigo, Riding Hood Red, Sahara Sand
Ink: Island Indigo, Riding Hood Red, Sahara Sand, Early Espresso
Other: Stampin' Dimensionals, Silver Mini Brads, Linen Thread

No comments:

Post a Comment