Saturday, January 21, 2012

What I made for Christmas...

Since I've been MIA for so long I thought I would share the little project I made for the kids this Christmas. Money has been very tight and we decided in the interest of making sure they got something they really wanted for Christmas, we would give them cash. Well, I am not one to just fork over the bucks. I thought maybe we could do something corny like wrap up a bunch of ones in different packages, but I didn't have that kind of time or inclination. So, I made little cones to hang on the tree. Unfortunately my camera didn't want to cooperate so the pictures don't do them justice, but you will get the idea, I hope. I used the Petal Cone Die, Pinecones and Poinsettias set, and Tiny Tags to create something special.

I embossed the filigree stamp using Champagne Versamark ink (non-SU) and clear embossing powder. It turned out darker than regular Versamark and gave some sparkle to the design. I made 4 of these, so I ran the Big Shot many times to cut the layers. 2 Kraft, 2 white, 4 Real Red. I measured and cut smaller pieces to get the smaller white and red parts without a bunch of waste. I layered these all the way around the cone, all 4 sides. The red scalloped edge was left intact on the front and back, but on the sides I trimmed them down so I could adhere the flaps down with Stampin' Dimensionals. I only glittered the front, using Champagne Glass Glitter. I did embellish the sides and used the back to write names. On the sides (BAD CAMERA!), I stamped the little holly image in Real Red and Wild Wasabi onto white cardstock, coated with a sponge dauber dipped in Champagne Shimmer Paint, and punched it out with a 1/2" circle. It was cute, I promise! The pinecone was colored and stamped with markers - Early Espresso, Wild Wasabi, Real Red. I stamped the Christmas banner in Espresso and trimmed it out. The Merry sentiment is from the Tiny Tags set and I used half of a white banner from the cone die cut, embellished with a tiny silver brad, curved with a bone folder, and glued into place. I had some ivory ribbon in my stash, which I secured with 3 glue dots on each side.

To keep the cones from jumping off the tree, I weighed them down with some M&M's. I folded the money in half and put it in a 3x3 envelope, then put that into the cone. Gosh, my kids love getting cash for Christmas!

Since I had such a horrible time getting a decent pic, here are a couple of "alternates" just for fun in sepia and black & white! :)



Thanks for looking! I will do my best to share some more fun stuff soon. I have been stockpiling. :)

Becca

Supplies used:
Stamp sets: Pinecones & Poinsettias, Tiny Tags
Ink: Versamark Champagne, Early Espresso, Real Red, Wild Wasabi
Other: Petal Cone Die, 1/2" Circle Punch, Paper Snips, Clear Embossing Powder, Champagne Shimmer Paint, Champagne Glass Glitter, Silver Mini Brads, Stampin' Dimensionals, Sticky Strip

No comments:

Post a Comment