Monday, January 23, 2012

Sale-A-Bration Vintage Hello

Welcome, Sale-A-Bration 2012! I printed out all of the Everyday Enchantment Designer Series Papers from this year's Sale-A-Bration My Digital Studio CD. My husband had a fit. :) It kind of used a lot of ink and took FOREVER to print all 12 pages, but now I can play with them all and not worry about using too much or screwing it up, because I can print more! Friday night I started cutting, and on Saturday morning I layered and tore and stamped and glued and punched and threw things in the garbage and finally came up with something I liked. All while watching a marathon of The Vanilla Ice Project on DIY. And I loved every minute.

And I like this card, too. It has a vintage feel without being too heavy and funky. I used 3 DSP designs. I found an arrangement I liked, then ripped the side of the Pool Party strip and glued the coral piece under the torn edge, then layered the wallpaper design on top. A medallion from that paper is lifted up for interest. Since I printed on regular 20# white copy paper, I backed up the "popped" design on a bit of white card stock for stability, then trimmed and adhered with dimensionals.

I punched 2 strips using the Lace Ribbon Punch - Calypso Coral and Poppy Parade. I cut them in half, intending to use the strips on both sides of the designer paper. Then I changed my mind and only used one strip. I cut out the center design and glued the outside edge of the Calypso Coral strip under the Poppy Parade.

Before I glued down my designer paper panel, I stamped the tiny bird image from the Elementary Elegance stamp set (also Sale-A-Bration) onto the Lucky Limeade background. Once I had the panels in place, I moved on to the sentiment. I chose Hello, also from Elementary Elegance, stamped in Soft Suede on Pool Party, and punched it out using the Designer Label Punch. To make the label stand out, I ran my Limeade marker around the edge several times. I also stamped off the crown from Artistic Etchings in Soft Suede and added it to the left of the greeting. The tiny butterfly is from Elementary Elegance, in Limeade. I spritzed the piece with Soft Suede and Limeade markers.

Another look at the greeting panel - you can see the little bird and butterfly, as well as the crown, are part of the "wallpaper" design.

What do you think? The colors in this paper set seem so off the wall but really they are nice together. I wanted to smash a few different DSP's together on a club card my friends and I were designing but they thought I was CRAZY. I'll post that card soon so you can see how the compromise turned out. :) I will tell you something I learned from this project. I usually print My Digital Studio DSP's on card stock. This time I didn't want the bulk, since I knew I was going to layer several prints, so I used copy paper. I need to buy a package of heavier paper for this purpose. I think a 32# color copy bond will work well. Copy paper, once it has been inked so completely, tends to curl when you want it to be flat. Plus, it is almost floppy and that doesn't really help me line it up straight in my paper trimmer. Just a few drawbacks to printing on regular paper. When I print scrapbook pages or special documents, I do use card stock as it is going to stand alone and get flipped back and forth, so it needs the heavier weight. For cardmaking, I don't necessarily need that heft. I'll let you know how it goes when I find just the right printing paper.

Reminder - Sale-A-Bration starts TOMORROW!! and runs through the end of March. Earn one free item from the special catalog with every $50 purchased, and even more when you hostess your own workshop. I know I'll be building my collection... Thanks for looking!!

Becca

Supplies used:
Stamp sets: Elemetary Elegance, Artistic Etchings
My Digital Studio: Everyday Enchantment DSP
Card Stock: Lucky Limeade, Calypso Coral, Poppy Parade, Pool Party, Whisper White (under popped element)
Ink: Versamark, Lucky Limeade, Soft Suede
Other: Lace Ribbon Punch, Designer Label Punch, Stampin' Dimensionals

No comments:

Post a Comment