Friday, January 27, 2012

Up & Away Valentine

I found a really cute Valentine pocket made from the Petal Cone Die on the Stampin' Connection website. I took a crack at it and it was a DUD! I spent a lot of time on it, too. It was heart shaped, it was red, it had silver embossing, it had a ruffly edge at the top - and I couldn't stand it. I am always so disappointed when I can see something in my head and I just can't make it work on paper. Sigh. Anyway, my friend had given me the Up, Up & Away set to see if I could make anything cute with it. Well, I may have succeeded! We made many of these for January stamp club.

So simple - and it will be REALLY CUTE stuffed with tissue paper and a special little Valentine gift. To make this cute pocket, simply cut a 8.5x11 sheet of white card stock in half and run each half through the Big Shot using the Petal Cone Die. Make sure you stamp on the side that does NOT have score lines on it. Take the scalloped half circle and use it as a mask to sponge your "clouds" using Bashful Blue ink. Maybe try it out on a scrap first - we found some people had trouble making dark enough clouds, and some sponged so much that they had no white left and it was hard to tell there were shapes! Stamp the basket and tail, sentiment and seagulls. Use markers to color the sentiment - Poppy Parade first, black last - and huff a LOT before stamping. (The black seems to dry faster than the red.) Stamp the balloon in Concord Crush on the waste from one of the cones and trim it out. Adhere with dimensionals. Punch a heart from Poppy Parade using the smallest shape from the Heart to Heart punch and glue it onto the balloon. Stamp the clouds on more of the waste, trim out, and adhere. Fold over the edges of the hearts, and adhere one at a time. It can be difficult to control how the shapes line up if everything is glued at once. I found that my hearts made kind of a natural curved pocket.

Our club ladies loved these valentines and they had a blast sponging the night away. Do you have any other fun ideas using this die?

Happy V-Day!

Becca

Supplies used:
Stamp set: Up, Up & Away
Card stock: White, Poppy Parade
Ink: Basic Gray (gulls, basket, clouds), Bashful Blue (sponge), Concord Crush (balloon, tail), Poppy Parade (marker), Basic Black (marker)
Other: Petal Cone Die, Stamping Sponges, Paper Snips, Heart to Heart Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment